Colin McRae: Dirt 2 is a racing game released in September 2009, and is the sequel to Colin McRae: Dirt. Dirt 2 was the first game in the Colin McRae series to be released after Colin McRae's untimely death. Dirt 2 features a number of prominent racers such as Ken Block, Travis Pastrana, Tanner Foust, and Dave Mirra as well as featuring former rally driver Mohammed ben Sulayem.
Dirt 2 features five racing disciplines:
- Raid - races are multi-car events involving heavyweight vehicles, such as buggies and trophy trucks. Each race begins with a simultaneous start of up to eight competitors, with tracks averaging 5 km in length
- Landrush events are similar to raid races, but take place on a circuit. Each event features eight racers on a dirt track of about 1 km, and involve multiple laps.
- Rallycross races involve cars identical to those used in rally events; the races themselves, however, are very different. Each rally-cross race involves up to eight racers competing in multiple lap events on circuit tracks of mixed surface type. The tracks, half tarmac and half dirt, exist in closed settings, such as in or around stadiums, and are approximately 1 to 1.5 km in length.
- Rally racing occurs on non-circuit roads which usually involve public (closed) routes and technically challenging courses. Usually involving staggered starts, each driver competes against the clock. In addition, during rally events, a co-driver is present, constantly reading pacenotes to guide the driver along narrow and meandering tracks of up to 6 km in length.
- And The most similar real-world equivalent of Trailblazer events are hill climbs. Unlike hill climb events, however, trailblazer races do not require a positive change in elevation. Similar to rallying, trailblazing features staggered starts. Trailblazer (and hill climb) cars, unlike rally cars, usually feature massive aerodynamic aids, such as spoilers, diffusers, and splitters to help keep traction at higher speeds, regardless of track surface or conditions.
To conclude as a racing game Dirt 2 is excellent, with the graphics being exceptional and great gameplay to go with it, however Codemasters could have added some weather effects and track deterioration to make things slightly more interesting.
- Dirt 2 Box art
- Screenshots: My PC - Xzib1t.
- Game Modes: Wikipedia